Comment on 29.4.1823
Freund’s first statue of Eurydice was finished in clay in 1815 and was shown at the Charlottenborg exhibition the same year. It attracted a lot of attention, and Prince Christian (8.) Frederik wanted to have it cast in plaster so that it could be preserved. Before this could be done, however, the statue collapsed. In 1820, Freund was working on another Eurydice later to be carved in marble, commissioned by the same prince. No trace of this statue exists today, and the second Eurydice was probably never executed in marble, cf. H.R. Baumann: Hermann Ernst Freunds Levned ved Victor Freund, Copenhagen 1883, p. 10-12, 75, 292 and 293.
Last updated 23.05.2016