Awarded honorary citizenship of Mainz, cf. N35. Does not receive the diploma until his visit to the city 1.7.1841.
- Letter dated 4.5.1835 from the Gutenberg Commission to Thorvaldsen (the date of the award of the honorary citizenship appears to be 18.4.1835).
- Diploma dated 18.4.1837 from Johann Baptist Heinrich to Thorvaldsen. (the date of the award appears to be 18.3.1835. Considering the official character of the diploma this date seems most credible).
- Letter dated 10.5.1837 from Johann Baptist Heinrich to Thorvaldsen (from this it appears that the date of the award was 18.3.1836, but that the diploma was not finished until 1837).
- Letter dated 5.1.1838 from Friedrick Maler to Thorvaldsen (no date mentioned).
- Rigmor Stampe (ed.): Baronesse Stampes Erindringer om Thorvaldsen, Copenhagen 1912, p. 129.
Last updated 12.07.2019