Comment on 12.10.1799
Villa outside Porta Salara, built by Cardinal Allessandro Albani (1692-1779), who patronized the neoclassical art critic par excellence, Johann Joachim Winckelmann (1717-1768). The house had a large collection of antiques, catalogued by Winckelmann, part of which was taken by the French in 1798-99.
Since 1866, the Villa Albani has been owned by the princely family of Torlonia.
Last updated 13.01.2015